[HLUG] Anyone used SUSE disks that were given out at some meeting?

Benjamin Weber b.weber at warwick.ac.uk
Fri Sep 2 22:53:46 BST 2005

>But Ubuntu & Debian have apt which is
> surely the best packagae mgt tool around. I spent hours getting a
> particular perl script working on mandrake a while back. On ubuntu
> everything is installed and configured even apache in one single command.
> You also have Webmin still which works well and can be used on any linux
> platform. If you use Webmin and need to change distro, you don't need to
> learn new config tools again.

you can use apt on suse too if you wish, apt and yum are both included in suse
10 for those who prefer them . the YaST package manager is very good though,
does some things better than apt and yum, some not so good. Apt didn't seem
to like running two apt-gets at once when I tried it for example, or
resolving dependencies on local packages both of which yast has no problems
with.

y2pmsh install apache2

or

yast -i apache2

for a more interactive version. This will install apache2  and configure with
default setup, then

yast http-server

will let you configure the most common options, and yast has a curses frontend
so you don't need a gui or a web browser to configure it, just ssh connection
(admittedly I havn't tried webmin in links with 80char terminal window over
ssh, but I doubt it would be pretty)

http://bw.uwcs.co.uk/screenshots/yast/apache/

YaST also has the advantage that it is very easy to expand with extra modules
if there's something it doesn't do see http://yast2.suse.com/tdg/html/ if
you're interested.

Benji

ps some yast modules work on debian allready, see
http://yast4debian.alioth.debian.org/