[HLUG] How to setup mysql??

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Tue Apr 11 13:49:55 BST 2006

On 11/04/06, Matt Rhys-Roberts <matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com> wrote:
> I too am furious that I've found straightforward mysql literature hard
> to find; last I looked, there were too many contradictory startup guides
> to refer between, so I gave up in disgust. Setting up databases properly
> is a science, if you want the best out of them. Setting up mysql seems
> highly distribution-specific, and relies heavily on correctly set file
> paths, ownerships, permissions, user login details etc. I feel there are
> many layers to this onion and skipping any one of them will catch you out.

I have found the documentation on the MySQL site to be quite helpful.
The problem being is that you never know how you particular
distribution has left the installation once you've installed the
package.  Debian does a particularly nice job of setting you up with a
root password to get you started, RH on the other requires that you do
this yourself.

> Therefore I support any moves to talk about mysql more as a LUG. I'm
> just disappointed by my own ignorance, and would like to start listing
> resources that clear  up the whole installation and operation process in
> plain English.

The installation should be pretty simply if your using a package based
distribution, but I'm happy to help about any operational questions.

BTW, Emon did you install mysql from source or from a package?  It
looks like the installation is bad.

Thanks
Mark

--