[HLUG] How to setup mysql??

Emon contact_emon at gawab.com
Thu Apr 13 07:05:39 BST 2006

Mark Broadbent wrote:
> On 11/04/06, Emon <contact_emon at gawab.com> wrote:
>
>>Mark Broadbent wrote:
>>

>>>BTW, Emon did you install mysql from source or from a package?  It
>>>looks like the installation is bad.
>>>

>>Thanks everyone
>>
>>Yes I installed from a pkg. This is what I had to do
>>
>>"chown -R mysql /var/lib/mysql" did the trick!! It was mentioned in the
>>Slackware startup script for mysql (I know...; should have looked more
>>carefully before complaining :) ...sorry about that)
>

> Strange that wasn't setup for you.  You might want to file a bug
> report with slackware about that (providing it was an official
> slackware package).
>

>>Looks like mysql starts successfully during bootup
>>
>>When I do "pstree -p"; this is a small part of what I see
>>
>>         |-lisa(4256)
>>         |-mysqld_safe(3927)---mysqld(3951)
>>         |-nmbd(3955)
>>
>>So.. does this mean mysql is ok????
>

> Yep, it looks like it's running.
>

>>If so why do I still get the following error while trying to run mythtv...
>>
>>*****************
>>QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
>>QSqlQuery::exec: database not open
>>2006-04-12 00:52:03.942 DB Error (KickDatabase):
>>Query was:
>>SELECT NULL;
>>No error type from QSqlError?  Strange...
>>2006-04-12 00:52:09.353 Unable to connect to database!
>>2006-04-12 00:52:09.353 Driver error was [1/1045]:
>>QMYSQL3: Unable to connect
>>Database error was:
>>Access denied for user 'mythtv'@'localhost' (using password: YES)
>>*****************
>

> The answer being in the last line, have you set-up a mythtv account,
> assigned a password and put that password into the mythtv
> configuration?
>
> Thanks
> Mark
>

> --
> Mark Broadbent
> Herefordshire LUG Master
>
> * http://www.wetlettuce.com/
> * http://www.herefordshire.lug.org.uk/

Thanks

After going through the docs & howtos on mysql/mythtv; I have finally
been able to (somehow) setup mythtv (phew...). A couple of problems
though..... which I did not face while using "tvtime"

1)
I don't get sound

2)
mythtv always runs in fullscreen mode, there seems to be no, window
mode!! There ...is... a  window mode but that's for the GUI only not for
viewing TV.

3)
This is the configuration I used while using tvtime.....

Television Standard: PAL
Channel Frequency Table: france

Although I live in Dhaka,Bangladesh!! "Channel Frequency Table: france"
seems to detect the maximum number of channels!!!... I don't have a clue
why this is so?? I found it to be so through trial & error.
More over no other application can detect as many channels as "tvtime"
can... not even mythtv (or kdetv) even with the above settings.
As for xawtv... I just couldn't understand how to configure it.

Can anyone please shed some light on the above issues

Thanks again everyone
Emon