[HLUG] How to setup multiple pop/smtp account??

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Fri Apr 28 09:09:54 BST 2006

Hi,

There is a difference between the SMTP account used and the email address
that you are sending from.  You can usually send to any SMTP server using
any address, so if you change the address in Thunderbird it looks as though
it is using the default SMTP server.

If you have the ISP mailserver available to you, by far the easiest thing to
do is to use this as the outgoing relay, as it won't need authentication or
be bothered about the address you are sending from.  Just set up multiple
accounts, use the relevant POP details, and just set the SMTP server to the
ISP server and use authentication if and only if the ISP req	requires it
(the only one I know of that does in the UK is BT Internet).

Andrew.