[HLUG] Broadband Fees

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Fri Apr 28 12:41:15 BST 2006

Hi,

I would definitely stick away from Talk Talk or similar.  There is never
such a thing as a free lunch.

At home we use www.aaisp.net.uk, they use an interesting approach by having
an L2TP router on our side of the BT link, which means that although the
traffic goes through the BT routers, they can do things such as load
balancing etc a lot better, meaning a much more stable connection.  The
other thing is that their off peak period is from 6:00 P.M, and all
weekends, which is when we do all our transfers, meaning I hardly use any of
my allotted bandwidth usage (around 500 mb a month during the day).

They are slightly pricy, (probably a bit too pricy for most home users), but
I would give them a check out.  I get some of the money back from doing some
remote backups for some people, which helps recoup the costs.

The other ones I would look at are Plusnet and www.f2s.com.

Thanks.
Andrew.