[HLUG] Non Linux

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 6 15:33:20 BST 2006

Noel McG. wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Two small non Linux queries.
>
> A neighbour of mine has just acquired an old Pentium 11 333mhz PC.
>
> The PC works quite well. Now it has a rather odd little 15" screen with it.  Is anyone disposing of a 17" or larger  crt monitor.
> I'm sure he would be agreeable, to say, a £5 donation to Hlug funds.

Hi Noel

We have some 17" monitors at work that we want to get rid of. If you or
him could collect, I'm sure we would be pleased to let you have it for free.
> Secondly, he wishes to get onto broadband.  He was thinking of getting a wireless setup of some sort direct from a ISP. Is this practical as there are no USB ports.
> Would it be better to put a USB card in, if these are still available, and go for a direct connection.

You could also get an ethernet wireless router, assuming he has a
network card in the pc. Otherwise, yes, you could get a cheap USB2 to
PCI card, they're about £15 at most. Most kit these days may only have
Windows drivers for 2000/XP, so if he is running 98/95 or Me this could
be a potential problem.

The pc itself tho' would be worth far less than the wireless and the USB
card. Would it be better to get a newer 2nd hand pc instead?

Cheers

Julian