[HLUG] Flash under Linux

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Aug 30 20:31:13 BST 2006

Hi all

Been a bit quiet recently so thought I'd mention this.

I've been finding that more and more sites have a requirement for Flash
version 8 player or even flash 9, but under Linux, Adobe (previously
Macromedia) have only recently version 7 for Linux.

Annoying, a blog
<http://www.kaourantin.net/2005/12/flash-player-8-for-linux-update.html>
post from Adobe seemed to indicate that they would not release Flash for
linux 8, but would wait for a point release , ie flash version 8.5 But
this came and went, and still no updates.

I'm rather surprised why they have abandoned the Linux community like
this. Flash has had a  linux version for years, and recently Adobe
advertised for key Linux staff, so it seems strange that one of their
most famous products is being treated this way.