[HLUG] graphics card problems

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 18:00:23 GMT 2006

hello,

i had ubuntu on my pc and i had set it up to use the dapper (unstable)
packages and updates. i took it to work and it downloaded and
installed nearly a thousand packages. shortly after that i started
having weird problems with the graphics and memory use. i assumed it
was due to using unstable packages so i did a standard reinstall. the
problems persisted so i realised that the problem was hardware not
software. i think it might have been down to the graphics card so i've
ordered a new one and i'll see if that fixes it.

luckily i copied all the files that had been downloaded from
/var/cache/apt/archive to another partition so that i could use them
again. i could go through them and install them with dpkg, but i would
have to spend ages working out the dependencies as i go along and it
would be a horribly painful task. is there any way i can add all of
the packages on my hard drive to the sources.list so that i could use
apt-get or synaptic to install them?

thanks.
john michaelson.