[HLUG] graphics card problems

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Feb 13 18:55:35 GMT 2006

j michaelson wrote:

>hello,
>

>i had ubuntu on my pc and i had set it up to use the dapper (unstable)
>packages and updates. i took it to work and it downloaded and
>installed nearly a thousand packages. shortly after that i started
>having weird problems with the graphics and memory use. i assumed it
>was due to using unstable packages so i did a standard reinstall. the
>problems persisted so i realised that the problem was hardware not
>software. i think it might have been down to the graphics card so i've
>ordered a new one and i'll see if that fixes it.
>
>luckily i copied all the files that had been downloaded from
>/var/cache/apt/archive to another partition so that i could use them
>again. i could go through them and install them with dpkg, but i would
>have to spend ages working out the dependencies as i go along and it
>would be a horribly painful task. is there any way i can add all of
>the packages on my hard drive to the sources.list so that i could use
>apt-get or synaptic to install them?

I think you can do this. We're experimenting with something similar at
the moment. There is an option to add a CD repository, or even a hdd
repository of all of your /var/cache/apt/archive.
Then you should be able to resync this.

Dapper does have some problemsd tho, my prism 2 wlan card doesnt workk
at the mo, but is fine in breezy and hoary.

See you at the mtg.

Julian