[HLUG] MPlayer problem...

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Jan 2 21:13:34 GMT 2006

Emon wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I just joined the group.
>I am a newbie running Slackware10.2.
>Recently I installed the pkg "Mplayer-1.0pre7" but when I try to
>play a video from my HDD It gives me the following error
>
>*********
>Fatal error!
>Error opening/initializing the selected video_out (-vo) device.

Hi. Welcome to our LUG !

As far as I remember, with mplayer you can select different types of
system with the video and audio outputs. For example you can specify
ALSA, OSS, ARTs, etc with the sound and usually X11, Xv and others for
the video. For some reason the -vo is not set to the correct display for
you, ie with Slackware. Try doing

man mplayer, and see what it says aboiut the different options available
for -vo.

On another matter, (and not trying to start a flame war ;-) ), why
choose Slackware if you a linux beginner ? Although its well regarded it
is probably one of the harder ones to start with.

Ubuntu and Suse are good choices, but all versions of Linux are good.

Julian