[HLUG] Permissions

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 6 12:37:07 GMT 2006

On 06/01/06, Tom English <mr_tom at o2.ie> wrote:
> The thing about sticking with tuesday as meeting day was put in the wrong email, oops.
>
> It was / and everything underneath it, but I decided to reinstall Slackware last night.
>
> I've read on some things on chmod and the recursive option, and it seems that there is an option (--preverse-root) to stop accidents such as chmod -R 777 * in /, but this is not the default.
>
> I might write a simple script to call chmod with --preverse-root for the future.

or if you use bash then you could put this in your login script
(~/.bashrc) or system wide profile (/etc/profile):

alias chmod chmod -preverse-root

and anytime you call chmod it'll append the extra option.

> Matt - MySQL has always given me permission problems (aswell as sendmail, etc) - part of the fun... :)

I've never had permission problems with either or these, but maybe I
just got lucky?  But if you find yourself considering using 777 I can
promise you that nighty-nine times out of hundred there is a better,
more secure way, I promise!  What were you trying to do that made you
consider that drastic action?

Cheers
Mark