[HLUG] FOSS Initiative (Was: OS Offensive)

tundish tundish at thuswise.org.uk
Sat Jan 7 11:03:08 GMT 2006

A couple more thoughts, and some questions.

The source of IT equipment is key. We can use our own cast-offs for
proof-of-concept, but to be sustainable we need a dependable source of
old PCs in good working order.

What about the council itself? They have to comply with recycling
directives, I'm sure. Will we save them money simply by taking the kit
off their hands? What contracts do they have in place to dispose of old
IT and could this stream be tapped? Who do we need to talk to?

Apologies to those in the local government sector who are familiar with
the territory. This stuff is a bit new to me. If I've misunderstood
anything, please correct me. Here's a summary:

Local Government
================

The council can't use old PCs because they still roll out Microsoft
products. Windows 2000, for example, is no longer supported since last
year, and these Win2000 machines may not be able to carry XP.

The council won't relife these boxes with Linux because that's not in
their IT policy.

They are obliged to recycle the kit responsibly.

There is a bonus in doing this in a way which is locally beneficial.

* So there should be an incentive here to give us their old kit *

Beneficiaries
=============

Charities. Independently-run local government initiatives. Groups for
the retired such as U3A. And Students.

Students are a big market because they each of them require a PC (often
a laptop; the most expensive to buy new). They are tech savvy and likely
to embrace new concepts. They are switched on to learning new stuff.

The Vision
==========

Imagine you could walk into a Library in Herefordshire and go to a stand
marked "Open PC". The carousel stand has CDRs with a Linux Distro and an
application form. You take out the CDR as you would a book.

You fill out the form and a week later you get a phone call to pick up
your new (old) PC or laptop. Or if you have no transport it's delivered
to you by a friendly LUG member. You install the distro yourself and
either print out or email an acknowledgement to the library that you've
got this far. This is the equivalent of taking the book back and
transaction is complete. Plus one to the good guys.

If you're having trouble, there is support from friendly LUG members. If
it doesn't work out, and you never send the acknowledgement, eventually
arrangements are made to pick up the PC and give it to someone else.

There's a long way to go before we get there. We certainly need to
minimise the support calls and this means finding a suitable distro
(maybe rebranding it) and having a source of high quality, predictably
typed PCs and laptops.

Julian and Matt; what did your experiences with your project last year
teach you? What are the challenges here?

Great to be talking about this. Cheers,

Dave.