[HLUG] 64 bit problems

Benjamin Weber B.Weber at warwick.ac.uk
Sat Jan 14 14:31:49 GMT 2006

Hi John

What graphics card do you have? most likely this will be limiting your framerate more than cpu. For comparison I have a 3200+ w/nvidia 5900xt and get arround 50-60fps on ons-torlan or 100+ on deathmatch maps

anyway one possibility is that your cpu is being throttled, in suse there would be a kpowersave applet in your tray by default that you can use to switch between power saving modes, most likely ubuntu has something similar, or you can run powersave -c and -x  or "cat /proc/cpuinfo" or "cat /proc/acpi/processor/CPU1/(throttling|limit)" to see what it's doing, it may be that it's throttling the cpu to something lower like 1000mhz by default.

other possible that something else is using a lot of cpu/memory, or there's a problem with your nvidia drivers, how many FPS do you get in glxgears?

Also I've found that 64bit ut2004 is less stable than the 32bit version, you can trick the installer into using the 32bit version by running "linux32 <installer>"

Benji.