[HLUG] Free Open Source Workshop in Hereford - Jan 26th

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 15 12:06:01 GMT 2006

Hi all

In regards to the thread about us helping bring Open Source to the
masses (well Herefordshire at least !), can I suggest we look to getting
involved and helping where we can with the event on January 26th where
MOST, www.most.org.uk will be putting on a day long workshop extolling
the vitues of Linux & Open Source to the charitable/voluntary sector.

This event will be held in Hereford, (as yet I dont know the venue).

MOST are a funded organisation to bring Open Source to the Midlands. I
suggest if we want to help local charities dip their toes in the water
that, if we can help MOST in any way we can that it will be the best
approach.

I am hoping to go along, if time allows. It would be great if we could
have another member or two to represent the LUG, and extoll the virues
of Linux and local help.

MOST are based in Brum, and although they are a great bunch, we have a
role to play too in helping with local meetings in the County and the
mailing list. Generally as we know, Birmingham is a long way away, but
anyone who comes to the workshop will be looking to find out and get
help _locally_, ie in the county.

As yet, there are no details on the MOST site, but there is a mention in
the Hereford Times about the event.

Contact Details for the event are email richards at bvsc.org (Richard
Smedley?), 0121 6788816

I suggest at the least we get in contact with MOST and offer help, ie
see if we can get them to distribute flyers for the LUG, and all
publicise our group meetings and local maling list.

To be honest we can only do what HLUG members are prepared to do, so
please, if you can help and want to get involved, please respond and we
can take it from there.

My time is limited due to being a first time dad of 5 months, but if a
few of us are able to _*all*_ do a bit, then I think we can publicise
the LUG, potentially increase membership on the back on the MOST event
and help reduce Microsofts stranglehold a little bit further.

What do you think ??