[HLUG] error=0x84 { DriveStatusError BadCRC }

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Jan 15 22:13:59 GMT 2006

Hi Dave

David Shorthouse wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>After viewing the logfiles I have come across this message
>
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
>SeekComplete Error }
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError
>BadCRC }
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
>SeekComplete Error }
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError
>BadCRC }
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
>SeekComplete Error }
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError
>BadCRC }
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady
>SeekComplete Error }
>Jan 14 16:25:02 linux kernel: hdb: dma_intr: error=0x84 { DriveStatusError
>BadCRC }
>Now I have done a search on the web & if i read correctly this means the drive
>is faulty or on its way out.
>
>I have checked in the machine cables etc seem ok. but the drive is brand new
>less than a month old. I have formatted the drive using reiserfs 160gig drive
>1 partition.

I've seen these dma errors before. Now I cant remember exactly what the
status codes mean, but I think it just indicates that the dma is not
completely happy on boot up. Generally, I've been told that if you get
DMA errors like this only on boot, its probably ok. But if you get them
during usage, then yes, the disk may be faulty.

Just thinking about it, why have you got a HDD on hdb? That would be
Primary Slave. If you also have a HDD on Pri Master, you may well get
some DMA warnings, but I think they are harmless. If you have two HDD's
of different UDMA speeds on the same channel, that may also cause the
warnings.

>Any ideas the drive is about 90%full obviously with it being a new drive i
>moved all my files on there until I have sorted where i want everything to
>go.
>I was contemplating running fsck but dont want to kill the data...

You could try using Spinrite which now supports Linux, but I'm not sure
if it supports reiserfs ..

Julian