[HLUG] networking stuff

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Mon Jan 30 23:15:37 GMT 2006

hello,

i've brought my pc into work and plugged it into the network. i've
been wanting to play with apt-get for a while so i thought i'd give it
a go. i typed " sudo apt-get install xmms " into the terminal and
watched as it downloaded and installed it. very sweet little program,
i'm going to have to learn more about that.

because the the computer i use at work is one of those imac
built-into-the-monitor things i couldn't swipe the monitor to use with
my pc, so i had to bring in my monitor too, which is a hassle. in
future i want to be able to just bring in my pc, ssh into it and
download stuff with apt-get.

the first thing i had to do was give my pc a static ip address. i got
ubuntu to do the donkey work by connecting to the network with dhcp.
to find what the ip address and mask was i used the ifconfig command
and i found the gateway by using netstat -rn. this gave me enough info
to set up my static ip. now all i have to do is figure out ssh and
i'll be laughing. both the mac and my pc have it so it should be
possible.

john michaelson.