[HLUG] subversion is brilliant

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Wed Jun 14 12:30:06 BST 2006

On 14/06/06, Ben Stephens <foolfodder at gmail.com> wrote:
> > the cool bit is that now i can get subversion to update my copy and it
> > only has to download the files from the website that are different to
> > mine, so it only takes a fraction of the time.
>
> I might be wrong about this but i think that it is even better than
> that, in that it only downloads the differences between the files and
> not the whole different file. As far as I know it can even do this to
> some extent with binary files too.

It's better than that even, all files updated are done through
differences (just like CVS does) including binary files (unlike CVS)
because all the data is stored as binary (i.e. there is no
differentiation between text and binary).

I have to agree that subversion is pretty good, however, darcs and
arch take this a stage further to allow you to move individual patches
or changesets around and apply them in a different order or cherry
pick bits into you own repo.  Now that's neat!

Cheers
Mark

--
Mark Broadbent
Herefordshire LUG Master

* http://www.wetlettuce.com/
* http://www.herefordshire.lug.org.uk/

Warning: `class Bob' only defines a private destructor and has no friends
  --- GCC C++ compiler: