[HLUG] Thursday meeting & Finding a new Meeting Venue.

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sat Jun 17 14:43:49 BST 2006

j michaelson wrote:
> hi all,
>
> sorry i didn't make it to the meeting. for some reason i went to the
> volunteer instead of the spread. it wasn't till i got home and re-read
> the emails that i realised my mistake.
>
> it wasn't a complete loss, they some black bush whiskey and a nice
> little garden out back so i drank a few whiskeys, read a book and
> listened to the birdsong. quite a nice evening, really.
>
> i'll pay more attention next time.   :-)
Hi John & HLUGGERS

Here's a quick rundown of what we discussed, for those who couldn't make it.

Yes, the three of us, Me, Ben and Graham turned up and had a pleasant
chat about Linux, Open Source, etc.

I asked the others if there was anything we could do to get more members
to come to the meetings. Graham said he very much liked the facilities
at the college, and the many extra possibilities offered there to
_really do_ stuff.

Ben said that he would prefer if we were able to get the group project
back up and running. For this we obviously need some premises to meet at
that we can do some real computing, rather than outside at the pub,
however nice it is.

Graham said he had heard of a place in Hereford that community groups
could use for free, that we could possibly try. He will find out more.
The idea is that you might want to buy teas and snacks which helps the
hall, but without any room hire charge. The local Oxfam group holds
their meetings there.

Obviously, we ideally need somewhere to go alongside the College, for
the times that we're not able to go there, (which might be for a while
with summer holidays, and half term breaks).

We would need :-

/*Essential*/
	/*Desirable*/
Mains Power
	Broadband Internet Access
FREE Room Usage
	Food and Drinks

	Toilets

	Located centrally in the county, i.e. Hereford or close by

	Other PC's there we could use

Anything else I've forgotten?

So, although Graham is going to try and get more in info, if anyone else
has any ideas for a medium-long term room, that we can use for free,
_please_ reply. We have nothing to lose asking.

The meeting attendances have got to the point, ie less than 4 or 5, that
we may be in danger of disappearing, which i'm sure you would not want.
If we can get another alternative venue to use alongside the College,
that would really help us get set-up and organised better and I think,
get more members along.

We can still go to a pub occasionally, for a LUG meeting or social
meeting, especially in the summer evenings, but its not an ideal venue
for the proper meets, I feel...

Comments ??

Julian Robbins