[HLUG] silencing my dialup modem

j michaelson jmichaelson at gmail.com
Wed Jun 28 10:12:27 BST 2006

hi matt,

i did wonder if there was some way i could control the volume from the
pc, but i couldn't see anything in the ubuntu network settings menu so
i gave up. i s'pose i could have looked into the command line stuff,
but to be honest i kind of wanted to take the modem apart and have a
rummage anyway.  :-)

i'm interested in activating and deactivating the internet from the
command line. the gui menu doesn't really give me any idea what's
going on, hopefully the command line way would be more informative.
any idea how it's done?

if i could connect from the command line i could build it into scripts
so that my pc could connect to the internet, do stuff and then
disconnect. if i set this up as a cron job i could get my pc to use
the phone line when everyone else was asleep and the phone line was
free. this would be something cool to play around with.

john.