[HLUG] how do I uninstall

alabaster herelug at centaurus.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 13 23:28:37 GMT 2006

I tried to install a couple of old games to amuse the grandchildren,
from a cd with an old book that were suitable for Red Hat 7; I'm running
Fedora Core 3, so I thought they could work.

The first was xinvaders involving just a copy of a single file. It ran
from a terminal window with no problem.

The next was kpacman, requiring copying of a tgz file, running tar to
unarchive it and running make install to install it from the binaries (I
think). I did this but everything flashed past me so fast that I assumed
it all worked. When I try to run it in a terminal I get

"$ kpacman
kpacman: error while loading shared libraries: libkdeui.so.2: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory"

I think this is a library name problem due to me having a newer release
of the KDE desktop as I have found libkdeui.so.4.2.0 and two broken
links to libkdeui.so.4.2 and libkdeui.so.4. I can probably find a
compatible version on the Web.

So, how do I uninstall or undo what I have done installing kpacman? I
have looked in my Fedora documentation; RPM files are registered and can
be uninstalled by selection in the package management user interface but
this is not one of those. A web search suggests that I "just" need to
find all the files that got installed and remove them. Two problems
here. 1) I do not know the files that were installed or where they went,
and more importantly, 2) did the install replace any vital files so that
removing them will trash my system.

Please can any more experienced members give me some pointers or
reference to a good guide on this?

Regards

Gordon.