[HLUG] Ubuntu repositories on a disc/stick?

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Fri Mar 17 14:13:47 GMT 2006

Now that I've given some friends their dialup-only system back, running
Ubuntu 5.10 instead of WinME, I need to figure out how to install
specific packages & libraries, perform updates etc. for them, WITHOUT
their having to going online. They have no network card and only a 56k
dialup. It would be nice if I could just post them a periodic update CD
that they could install themselves!

Specifically, I wish to know how to:
a) select and download packages and updates, including all libraries
required, via my broadband box onto CD or USB stick,
b) point their computer (Synaptic or apt-whatever) to the drive where
the packages live,
c) prevent or quickly deal with any dependency problems, without having
to make 2 visits.

Am I asking too much?

--
Best Regards,