[HLUG] Ubuntu repositories on a disc/stick?

Graham Cole g at gcole.uklinux.net
Fri Mar 17 21:26:47 GMT 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-17 at 14:13 +0000, Matt Rhys-Roberts wrote:
> Now that I've given some friends their dialup-only system back, running
> Ubuntu 5.10 instead of WinME, I need to figure out how to install
> specific packages & libraries, perform updates etc. for them, WITHOUT
> their having to going online. They have no network card and only a 56k
> dialup. It would be nice if I could just post them a periodic update CD
> that they could install themselves!
>
> Specifically, I wish to know how to:
> a) select and download packages and updates, including all libraries
> required, via my broadband box onto CD or USB stick,
> b) point their computer (Synaptic or apt-whatever) to the drive where
> the packages live,
> c) prevent or quickly deal with any dependency problems, without having
> to make 2 visits.
>
> Am I asking too much?

 Hello Matt
That's not asking too much but I'm not able to write an accurate HOWTO.

I use Synaptic to show me what packages can be installed. If something
you want isn't there you will need another repository where it can be
found. In Synaptic I find the repositories list by clicking Settings
then Repositories.
Synaptic will also tell you about dependencies including libraries.

Marking a package for installation followed by clicking the 'apply'
button up above will show you how much will be downloaded (this 'apply'
does NOT start the downloading). If you think it's not too big go ahead
thru' the 56k modem. Click the new 'apply' button in the window which
came up to show you the details.

Wanting a big download you can get it elsewhere, store on disc and then
read that and store in a new directory for further action. Recently I
moved some packages into my home file and created a new repository at
that location in my home file. Adding the repository was straightforward
following the instructions I had from a howto.
It's also possible to make a repository of your cd or stick storage
device.

In Ubuntu forums I found a useful 'Index of HOWTOs'

Good luck

Graham