[HLUG] Linux on University Challenge again!

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed May 10 00:07:17 BST 2006

Hi

You might remember that a I mentioned few months back they managed to
fit in some Linux questions on BBC2's University Challenge.

Well on Monday night, they asked what the acronym was for _the_ driver
for scanners and digital cameras. TWAIN was the answer. Just as I was
thinking 'no that's not the driver for MAC OS X and Linux and everything
else', the next question, was what does the acronym, SANE stand for?
Which is Scanner Access Now Easy - which is predominantly a Linux system
to get scanners and digital cameras working with a single _open_ interface.

So they're sticking up for Linux, and this time, they didn't even
mention it. Obviously, they think (hopefully) that Linux is so much in
the psyche today, that everyone knows what SANE is, in the same way that
TWAIN is.

Julian

PS Matt Rhys Roberts, HLUG member and partner had a baby girl a few
weeks ago, called Freya, two weeks early. Congrats to them both..