[HLUG] Fwd: [sf-uk-discuss] Early Day Motion No 179 - Software in Education

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 22 17:26:20 GMT 2006

For those who have not given up on the political process ;)

Subject: [sf-uk-discuss] Early Day Motion No 179 - Software in Education
Date: Wednesday 22 November 2006 11:03
From: John Ingleby <john at coronet.co.uk>
To: sf-uk-discuss at googlegroups.com

John Pugh MP has tabled an Early Day Motion in the House of Commons
entitled Software in Education, number 179.  Please write to, or email,
your MP within the next week with a request that he or she add their
name to this motion.

"That this House congratulates the Open University and other schools,
colleges and universities for utilising free and open source software to
deliver cost-effective educational benefit not just for their own
institutions but also the wider community; and expresses concern that
Becta and the Department for Education and Skills, through the use of
outdated purchasing frameworks, are effectively denying schools the
option of benefiting from both free and open source and the value and
experience small and medium ICT companies could bring to the schools
market."

This is a huge opportunity to put FLOSS on our politicians agenda, and
the issue is precisely where we want the DfES to take action. Please let
Ian Roberts <ian.roberts at opensourceconsortium.org> know about your
letters. Iain is co-ordinating this effort on behalf of the Open Schools
Alliance www.openschoolsalliance.org

Don't delay. I'm happy to forward anyone a copy of my letter if you
email me individually.

Let's make this one really fly!

John
****