[HLUG] RE: Beginner's Info

Chris Owens cowens at clara.co.uk
Thu Oct 5 14:26:16 BST 2006

Hi everyone

    In the same vein as the possibility of an Installfest I thought any
beginner's in the LUG might be interested in a Linux Format Special
Edition exclusive to WH Smith which I discovered the other day called
'Get started with Mepis Linux' £9.99 for 3 CDs and a jolly good magazine
supplement.

    It is the magazine that I found such good value - really excellent,
written in a very gentle style, clear and understandable starting from
the basics (e.g. an incredibly detailed instruction set for the
installation of Mepis) with a bit of history through to setting up Web
Browsing, e-mail and using Office Software (OOo etc), getting started
with image editing (GIMP etc), multimedia, Web News, Home Accounts, VOIP
(Skype), Desktop Publishing (Scribus), accessing the OS, programming,
working the Command Line, Configuring a printer, Wireless Networking,
disk burning, Apache, FAQ's, Help resources and getting help, a jolly
useful Glossary and a wall chart. A real jargon busted gem.

    For  beginner I reckon its about the best I have seen all in one
place that is contemporary. Its a real idiot's guide - perhaps thats why
it appealed to me so much!!

Worth a tenner for any beginner

Chris