[HLUG] setting up a shared folder between two Ubuntu machines via LAN

Matt Rhys-Roberts matt.rhys-roberts at q-par.com
Tue Oct 10 10:36:16 BST 2006

I have two Ubuntu boxes at home, and I want to directly share files
between them as follows:

Ideally, I'd like to have a special folder on either desktop, into which
I can drag & drop files, and they magically appear in the other
machine's folder. Both PCs would have equal rights to add or delete files.

I've heard I need to install & configure Samba for this, thereafter I'm
a bit clueless. Has anyone managed to do anything like this please?

Regards,

Matt Rhys-Roberts