[HLUG] OSS in schools

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Oct 17 22:25:13 BST 2006

Hi Phil

Good luck with your campaign ! You may wish to read up on a recent
article about FLOSS (Free and Libre Open Source Software) in Schools
that was in Linux Format a few months back. One of the writers, whose
name escapes me, works now for MOST - Midlands Open Source Technology,
Richard ???. You may wish to get in touch with him, as he has an
excellent grasp on the Schools Linux potential, more info in the
article.

Contact details for MOST are below:-

MOST
c/o BVSC
138 Digbeth
Birmingham B5 6DR
UK

email: most at bvsc.org
Telephone: 0121 678 8844

Another suggestion for Wales is to speak to the Powys County Council
System Admins who have used Linux on servers I believe since about 1998,
due to cost and the geographical constraints of their county. Since they
are keen on Linux and OSS, there may be some leverage they could exert.
Not directly relevant, but working case studies of existing Linux and
OSS use is always useful.

I think Peter Linnel in our group had an interest in similar areas to
yourself, so he may also be in touch.

Good luck

Julian Robbins