[HLUG] Noel McGuinness

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Fri Sep 29 18:04:27 BST 2006

I can only add to what everyone has said so far. I was absolutely
shocked at hearing of his sudden passing away in the Hereford Times last
night.

I probably knew Noel longer than most at the LUG, as effectively Noel
and myself (re-)started the HLUG between us in 2004.

I first met Noel when he joined the Shropshire LUG around 2001, and
arranged to give him a lift to a meeting in Shrewsbury. In the car we
discussed the sad state the original HLUG was in where we had only a
very few members, but no-one ever used the mailing list and we had never
had any meetings whatsoever.

Between us, we decided to start the HLUG afresh ourselves. Noel's
attitude to getting things started was absolutely instrumental in
getting organised, keeping things together, and finally getting the
meetings off the ground and without him, the LUG would not have taken
off in the manner that it has.

My condolences to Jeff and the family; Noel was a very kind and helpful
person, who would go out of his way to help others.

Noel will be very sadly missed.

Julian & Sue