[HLUG] BIOS upset

Graham Cole grahamcole at nerdshack.com
Sun Apr 15 20:42:14 BST 2007

Hi all,
suddenly my BIOS started misbehaving, after a message that CMOS had a cheksum error-Defaults loaded'. Pressing F1 to continue threw up a message telling me that the floppy is not a bootable floppy, so put one in and try again! Actually there was NO floppy in there but I found I could change setup to look at CD then HD before looking at floppy, so I got the system to boot OK.
But after a shut-down the same rigmarole happened, the change to setup was not remembered, the floppy was first on the list again (default I guess). Is this happening because the battery backing up the CMOS is not doing its job?
Graham