[HLUG] Aduna Autofocus Meta Search software

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sun Aug 26 10:23:40 BST 2007

Julian Robbins wrote:

Re the Autofocus software below.

I'm still pleased with the operation, interface and usability of this
code now its been more thoroughly tested at work.

The only problem has been the speed, understandably. I think i need more
than the 2GB of ram i have. Getting the 175,000 files its indexed on our
server needs a lot of ram, and its maxing out at more 90% usage.

So at the moment, its working well, apart from the time it takes to
search the index for the largest profile with this 175,000 files. With
only 10000 files its extremely fast.

Mind you for a 300000 files Google Mini search box, its £6900 which
includes two years support and the hardware, so if you've server space
and lots of RAM, its still well worth it.

Not too bad to set up either, once you've got Apache and Tomcat setup.
The trick is not to use the tomcat from the Ubuntu Repos but to use the
notes on the Ubuntu forum showing how to setup Tomcat 6. Then its plain
sailing ....

I'll tell more at a forthcoming LUG meeting, assuming we're still up for
our presentation to the Green part and the FoE too in September ..

Whats going on with this by the way. can we get a list of members who
i'd like be involved ? Please reply to this email if you're interested ..

Julian