[HLUG] Lineage of Linux Distros

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 18 10:56:59 GMT 2007

> > Never mind MCC Linux, who was around when they had bootdisks of early
> > 0.x kournels, and had to edit the MBR directly on the hard drive using a
> > Hex editor to get it installed on a hard disk?

> HexEditor, luxury! We had to toggle in our own code in Octal
> on the front of our hand built vacuum tube machines, because we
> couldn't afford magnetic core storage.

Ha, when I was a lad we had to get up at 2a.m., walk 30 miles
to t' forge, and hand grind us own gears for us Babbage
Difference Engines, wi' nought to eat but gravel, and a bottle
o' gin for t' baby.
Aye, and when y' tell youth o'today, they just don't believe you. :-/

 - Richard "But you know, we were happy in those days, though we were
poor" Smedley
(with apologies to the four Yorkshiremen ;)