[HLUG] Exim 4.50 on Debian 3.1 external greet_pause?

Andrew Hodgson andrew at hodgsonfamily.org
Fri Jan 26 23:53:42 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have a virtual host at a data centre which I am moving stuff from home
onto running Debian 3.1 (mainly stock packages from stable/security).  I
have installed Exim-daemon-heavy and configured it for secondary MX for
some domains.

The trouble is it seems to have implemented something similar to
Sendmail's greet_pause feature, because it is taking around 20 seconds
to respond externally, when on localhost it is running fine.  The only
modification I made other than what dpkg-reconfigure exim-conf did was
to add Clam support, but it was like this before.  I chose the Internet
SMTP delivery option, and then mainly went through defaults from there,
choosing split configuration (as I am very new to Exim).

If this goes on I may switch to using Sendmail again, but wanted to
battle it out with another MTA to see how it went.

Any suggestions?

Andrew.