[HLUG] Exim 4.50 on Debian 3.1 external greet_pause?

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Mon Jan 29 13:45:12 GMT 2007

Hi Mark,

On 29/01/07, Mark Broadbent <andrew.hodgson at allpay.net> wrote:

>On 29/01/07, Andrew Hodgson <andrew.hodgson at allpay.net> wrote:
>> >In addition to this you might also want to consider using the ETRN
>> >smtp command from the primary MX.  This command effectively says to a
>> >backup mx, start spooling mail to the given domain, now.  This is
>> >useful if the primary knows it has been off-line and I use this
>> >successfully on my own system.  I am not sure if exim supports this
>> >command but I do know that postfix does.

>> I hate ETRN!  I have seen several hosts doing ETRN every 10 minutes to
the
>> secondary, and there was nothing to pick up, using more bandwidth than on
>> the odd occasion where they had something at the secondary which usually
>> spooled within a few minutes anyway.

>I agree that that is a waste of time to do it more than once, I only
>do it on boot-up to get the queued mail pushed quickly then leave the
>backup MX to deliver after that (I often don't want to wait for
>~30minutes until my email appears).

Yes good point.  Usually if the primary goes down because it does so much
else on our network the email is the least of my worries :(.

>The backup  should deliver
>immediately when the primary is up not to mention that other delivery
>agents should direct deliver to the primary when it is reachable (note
>that I leave out spammers tactics to deliberately deliver to
>secondaries as the anti-spam/AV measures are usually less there).

This is why I wanted to control what was coming into the secondary.  I was
fed up of having several DSNs coming at other users because the secondary
was accepting the mail then it got bounced - I saw the bounce log on my
server and it wasn't pleasant.  Now using Exim I do a callout on the
recipient to see if my MTA will accept it, at worst now if my MTA is down it
will accept the message, but over the last year this has been only a few
hours.  I am also doing CLAM on the secondary, and at some point I will be
integrating SpamAssassin (though I am not sure whether that is pushing the
memory on the virtual machine).

On another note, have you ever had to set up POP3 using virtual users (not
in /etc/passwd)?  I am trying to do something using Solid-POP3D and Pam
using htpasswd files, but get the general feeling I am re-inventing the
wheel.

Thanks
Andrew.

the system manager.