Virtual Domain (was: [HLUG] Exim 4.50 on Debian 3.1 externalgreet_pause?)

Andrew Hodgson andrew.hodgson at allpay.net
Tue Jan 30 08:19:36 GMT 2007

Hi Mark,

On 29/01/07, Mark Broadbent wrote:

>On 29/01/07, Andrew Hodgson <andrew at hodgsonfamily.org> wrote:
>> [Re Virtual Domains]
>>
>> >Try this (using Exim, Courier-IMAP and MySQL):
>>
>> >http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/140
>> >and
>> >http://www.tty1.net/virtual_domains_en.html
>>
>> Thanks but they aren't quite what I want.  I have now configured the POP
>> server (using PAM) to authenticate against the passwd file I specify.
>> Is there any way of telling Exim I want all mail that has a user in this
>> file to be delivered to /var/mail/username?   Am I being really dumb?

>I suspect what you're wanting here is:

>First you need to verify the local part of the email (i.e. the user
>part of user at example.com).    This can be done by getting exim to
>check your alternative passwd file like so:

What I did here was to create a file in /etc/exim4/conf.d/router
850_config_virtual_users

virtual_user:
  debug_print = "R: virtual_user for $local_part@$domain"
  driver = accept
  domains = +local_domains
  local_parts = lsearch;/etc/spop3d/samwise.acl
  transport = LOCAL_DELIVERY
  cannot_route_message = Unknown user

Which works fine - the file in /var/mail/user is created and we can read it
via spop3d.  However, I changed the password of the user in the passwd file
and it didn't seem to like that, so am back at square 1.  I undid the work
and re-created the user using adduser, moving the shell to /bin/false.

All I want is a simple virtual setup like the one I described earlier, I
don't want to map to local users, something similar to Vpop3, which I still
use at work.

The MySQL option seems a lot of work just for say 1/2 users, which I only
use for using mailbox for script access (mainly for blogs).

On the other hand, is it really so bad to have a local user for such a
situation?  I did point the shell to /bin/false after all.

Andrew.

the system manager.

allpay.net Limited, Fortis et Fides, Whitestone Business Park, Whitestone, Hereford, HR1 3SE. Telephone: 0870 243 3434, Fax: 0870 243 6041. Website: www.allpay.net Email: enquiries at allpay.net