[HLUG] Exim 4.50 on Debian 3.1 external greet_pause?

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Tue Jan 30 12:30:49 GMT 2007

On 30/01/07, John Hedges <john at drystone.co.uk> wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > As I said, the main reason for ditching it here is due to the bounces which I see (I see the rejection log in Sendmail so I know what is being returned to users).  I have also kept a low spec machine on 24x7 at home for years, so its pretty much taken as read now.
>
> This is really what I'm getting at. A secondary MX without proper ACLs
> is a nuisance. Spammers will regularly use a secondary MX, either
> directly or because the primary rejects their mail. If you accept mail
> regardless, onto any mail server, you are doing spammers a service by
> allowing them to deliver. What's more, you cause a lot of back scatter
> when you finally process the message, discover it's spam and send
> failure notifications to forged, innocent people's, email addresses.
>
> You are right to ditch your backup unless it's configured with ACLs that
> are kept roughly in sync with your primary. I know it's not a huge
> amount of work, but, in my opinion, it's just not worth the effort as
> the mechanism already exists for senders to resend on the rare occasion
> when your mail server fails ... sorry if I'm going on a bit :)

Feel free to go on, I agree that a backup MX that is just a spool it
not greatly useful, me and Andrew seem to have found that out, but
it's only been recently that cheap VPS systems have been available to
allow normal people to host there own primary MXs (with proper ACLs
and everything) on a permanently connected machine.

Cheers
Mark

--
Mark Broadbent