[HLUG] Clamav engine out of date

Gordon Alabaster herelug at centaurus.demon.co.uk
Mon Mar 12 18:33:20 GMT 2007

Hi,

I have a question about the principles surrounding a distro release that
has arisen for me with Clamav and hope someone can help.

I use CLamAV to scan my disc each night and a short while ago I started
getting messages :-

LibClamAV Warning: **********************************************
LibClamAV Warning: ***  This version of the ClamAV engine is outdated.
LibClamAV Warning: *** DON'T PANIC! Read http://www.clamav.net/faq.html
LibClamAV Warning: ***************************************************

Sure enough, I am running version 0.88.7 while the latest stable version
is 0.90.1.

This is all fine but I am running "update" on my fedora core 5 distro
and it does not appear to be ready to go to Clamav 0.90 yet.

Will fedora core 5 stick with the main version of Clamav that was
implemented with the main release and only update with minor upgrades
for life?

Will I mess things up if I download and install Clamav 0.90.1?

If I do the upgrade, will the "update" process update my Clamav 0.90
with minor upgrades as they become stable?

As I stated at the beginning, I suspect the principle applies to all
packages in a distro. Am I right?

Regards

Gordon