[HLUG] MythTv Ups and Downs

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 20 23:44:04 GMT 2007

matt stone wrote:
> Afternoon all folks, i thought i'd let you know how i got on with mythtv.
>
> Well, in short, yes i got it working! All was fine and dandy for
> around 24 hours until my machine started locking up on boot when
> bringing up the network. Not good as i'd set a cron job to shut the
> machine down at 2.15am every day.
>
> I use linksys wireless cards and the open source ralink driver from
> serial monkey which have worked a treat for me on my desktop machine
> running Fedora Core 6 with kernel 2.6.19. Anyways, after much
> investigating it turns out that both the official Ralink driver and
> the the serialmonkey driver don't work with kernel 2.6.20. Guess what
> i'd installed when i ran yum -y upgrade on initial install? Yup,
> you've guessed it :)
Sounds like you had fun ;-) My (non working ralink based WLAN USB dongle
went back last week as I had some small problems, but an update for
Feisty came down afterwards, =so it may be ok now. This was also using
2.6.20 so it may be possible to get them working under this kernel.

> Anyway, to cut a long story short, i decided to trash the install and
> start from scratch. The main problem i had was getting my machine to
> upgrade from kernel 2.6.18 to 2.6.19 so i could install the livna
> nvidia drivers (i couldn't 2.6.18 versions anywhere). So i'm back to
> the beginning almost. I've managed to upgrade to kernel 2.6.19, get
> nvidia graphics installed and i'm now running yum install mythtv-suite
> which i reckon is going to take a good hour.
>
> My initial impressions of mythtv were very good. I didn't find it too
> difficult to get upo and running with my hardware. I even got my
> remote and front display working with minimal effort. The only problem
> i did have was getting my channel information correct, mythtvsetup
> insisted on assigning channel icons and info for the epg to empty
> channels and assigning the actual channels random daft names, a bit of
> tinkering in the setup and noting down the frequencies then entering
> them manually seemed to sort that problem out.
Sounds familiar. I never quite got mine right either but there's
certainly a lot of good docs on the web about mythtv which helps.

> If anyones thinking of giving it a go, i'd say do it. Just make sure
> the hardware you buy is still supported by the time you get round to
> building the damn thing :)
Definitely; my Freecom DVB stick works completely out of the box,
barring copying the firmware into /lib/firmware but that's hardly difficult.

Cheers

Julian