[HLUG] Places where linux is used that you wouldn't normally think of ...

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 28 21:53:56 GMT 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 20:14 +0000, Julian Robbins wrote:
> Please add where you have seen Linux used in an unusual place, and where
> you heard of it from..

Sky+ boxes. RM's latest schools laptop. Tills at various high
street shops. My wife's iPod (when I fix it).

>     * BBC 1 Saturday Sports results service. Grandstand used to use a
>       Linux fail over system (using Heartbeat) to ensure that if one of
>       the results servers fell over that the alternate one would fall
>       into place. Clockwork Systems from Birmingham demonstrated this
>       two years ago.

Also on the BBC:
http://aycu03.webshots.com/image/36202/2004286266994972607_rs.jpg
It was forwarded to me, during a conversation about MI5 & GNU/Linux,
so I'll pass on the explanation below:
> FYI it is a screen shot from the BBC web based game 'Spooks',  I dont know
> about the program, I dont have a telly.
>
> What it shows in the game is a Ubuntu Desktop.
>
> It shows a running script with both cmd line and strange graphics o/p
> called 'hacklife' that 'hacks' the MI5 server.  hmm. Does this perpetuate the
> myth that GNU/Linux is for 'hackers' and academics?  Or just that its easier
> to get permission to use Ubuntu Screen shots as part of a game?
>
> After the hacklife script is succesful the head of section D MI5 calls you on
> your phone and recruits you.   Inside the MI5 office the computers are
> aparently Apple Mac's.
>
> That aside it does show that Ubuntu is used by BBC program/game makers.

 - Richard

--
http://m6-it.org/