october Re: [HLUG] HLUG September Meeting - 19th Sept

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Tue Oct 2 14:32:34 BST 2007

Hi Mark and all,

Thanks.  Hopefully I will be there.

Some background info about me, if anyone is interested....

I am currently using Windows XP and want to use Linux, however with
previous use of Ubuntu 7.10 I had problems finding adequate alternatives
  to some of the Windows applications I use.  I tried Wine but had
problems getting some of the apps to run properly.

I also tried openSUSE but had too many problems with the package management.

 From further playing with Live CDs I do like PCLinuxOS, not least
because it supports the hardware in my laptop very well (with
ndiswrapper for the wireless).  I haven't got as far as installing it
yet though.

I also look after about 15 PCs at work, most of which only use web
browser, email and basic office apps (Word and Excel), so good
candidates for Linux.  They already use Firefox and Thunderbird.

So I am interested to see and know more about the available distros,
learning more about using Wine, etc.

Cheers,
Paul.