[HLUG] Presentation to Friends of the Earth/Green Party

Mark Broadbent markb at wetlettuce.com
Fri Sep 21 23:19:54 BST 2007

Hi All,

Thanks to those who attended last Wednesday - we got some good ideas
together about our presentation to FoE and the Green Party.  The date
for the presentation is Wednesday 7th November, start time to TBD.
Anybody who wasn't able to make it last Wednesday is welcome to
participate.  Please contact me to arrange a topic you would like to
talk about (we need to be organised to give a high quality
presentation).  Note that you don't have to stand up and talk in front
of an audience!

The format of the evening will be as follows:

1. Introduction (me)
2. Start of Linux Install (Pete) plus some Open Source advocacy (with a
green twist).
3. Split off into separate workshops.
    - the idea of the workshops will be to provide an overview of the
topic and answer questions.  We should aim to allow people to visit 2-3
of these in the night so any presentation should be around 15-20 minutes
(I'll confirm this once we know about how much time there is) to give
time for questions.
4. Closing (me)

Workshop List as it stands so far:

Pete:
* Live install of Linux onto a WinXP laptop.
- Explanation of what partitioning is.
- Advocacy of Open Source etc.

Mark:
* Security of Linux and Open Source in general.
- Integration of security updates.
- Laptop with Linux running.

George:
* Laptop with Ubuntu
- New to Linux
- Wiki's (?)

Julian:
* Desktop Applications (Graphics and Office etc)

Other Topics that could be covered:
- CMSs (use in business - e.g. Plone - Oxfam, CIA, Joomla, Drupal - HLUG).
- Linux in an SMB (e.g. Jabber/IM etc).
- Search tools.
- Support for users/what happens when it goes wrong <- big topic should
be covered.
- Green aspect of Open Source/Linux.
- Non corporate ownership of Linux/Open Source.

We could also do with some Live and install CDs.  If a people can burn a
few each then we should have plenty to give out.

I'm on holiday from tomorrow, so chat among yourselves next week and
I'll catch up next weekend (29th Sept).

Cheers
Mark