[HLUG] OTish: Graphics Cards/Xorg usage/GPU upgrade

Ralph Jones ralphkj at gmail.com
Mon Apr 7 22:59:20 BST 2008

Hello all,

A quick update. Having done a bit more browsing, and a bit more
indiscriminate use of apt-get install and uninstall, I think I've
managed to get Xorg usage of the CPU and RAM down to levels where my PC
doesn't groan like a mob teen schoolkids bewailing the 'unfair' fact
that they've been given homework.

I uninstalled everything marked 'Direct Rendering' as well as xorg
packages 'video-fbdev' and 'video-v4l'. That seems to have done the
trick. I think with an old Rage Pro card, it's just as well that I just
want crisp clear webpages and work docs.

More questions to follow, watch this list :)

Regards one and all
Ralph