[HLUG] Friday: [CAPs + Hereford Linux User Group

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Wed Apr 9 23:00:25 BST 2008

george at dicenews dot com wrote:
> There is a meeting of hereford CAPs on friday,
> (community access points with internet and laptops,
> they got grants a year and a bit ago..)
>
> i hope i have sent the following email to be read at their meeting
> as its a pretty good connection i think...
Hi George

Yes, a good idea. I can see what you're getting at. I went to a
conference this week, and the net cafe pc's in the hotel both used some
type of stripped down Windows XP. But due to some nonsensical notice,
you couldn't use USB memory sticks with them due to 'security'.

This is something that Pete has mentioned in the past that the local
libraries in the county don't allow access to memory sticks for
'security', whereas Powys libraries do allow much more open access.

The basic point of this is that if you operate a more tied down OS in
the first place, & not operating as root (administrator), then you could
probably offer access to memory sticks, really quite important IMHO when
away from home.

On another matter, I learnt today that Powys uses TYPO3 as their Content
Management System, (he helps develop and extend this for them). Nice to
see Powys using more OSS, as they're quite famous for using OSS for
quite a long time now.

Lastly, I went to an emarketing event today in Shrewsbury, led by a
proper marketing design company. Interestingly, they chose to show Open
Source options first amongst possible cart and CMS solutions alongside
proprietary and bespoke work.

Nice to see OSS on an equal footing in more everyday seminars/demos.

Julian

PS I even had a colleague at work who had previously been quite anti-
OSS software telling me how great Scribus and the Gimp where. It just
took someone to really go through thoroughly how to best use the two
programs. There is still a lot of FUD around OSS rather than people
actually seeing it for what it is ...