[HLUG] New Member

Broomster broomster at gmail.com
Sat Apr 12 23:01:38 BST 2008

Hi Gang,

>  i found broomster asking for linux books on freecycle..

Indeed George did find me on freecycle, and gave me a gentle push in
this direction :-)

I had been looking at moving across to Linux for some time, though
figured it too much hassle.. I then made the mistake of *upgrading*
Windows XP to Windows Vista.. Was a very backwards move.. Had no end
of trouble, including the dreaded activation problems.. I looked
around and saw Ubuntu regulary cited as being the best for newcomers
to Linux, and as such downloaded an iso of 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon and
that's were I am now :-)

Still got Vista installed (for the moment - though it's taking up too
much space lol) - I'm gradually shifting files etc across..

I've had a look at various lists of linux apps that replace windows
apps.. I've got the majority of what I need already.. There's a couple
of things that are windows only - though I've managed to get them up
and running with Wine ;-)

I'm very interested in geneology (family tree!) software - so if
anyone knows of anything I could try out? I currently use genopro
(which is a windows app) but got it working thru Wine which is
handy...

As much as using the gui on ubuntu is nice, i want to get to grips
with the terminal windows and how things work through that.. Having
used pc's since the year dot, I'm not afraid of trying the ins and
outs of the system - back in Windows 3.1 days - I much preferred using
dos to get things done :-)

I like experimenting - trying out new ways of doing things, just for
the sheer hell of it :-)

At the mo, I've got flock setup as my browser (prefer it over
firefox).. I'm looking to see if Nokia Datasuite will run through Wine
now.. Fingers crossed!

--
Broomster,
Kington,Herefordshire.