[HLUG] Introduction

paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net paul.maddox.mail-list at synth.net
Thu Apr 17 11:48:47 BST 2008

Hi,

 I only just discovered this group. I'm new(ish) to Linux so please bare
with any of my apparanly dumb questions.

 I live in Hereford and I have an obsession with synthesisers. I build
them for fun (both hardware and software), you can see some of my work
here - http://vacoloco.net/synths/. I've got some 20 years experience in
the computer industry, ranging from field service, through sysadmin
(windows) and network engineer. I've had some limited exposure to Linux
(Solaris, redhat, suse) but I do mean limited.

 I'm also a fan of the, now defunkt 1U re-programmable rackmount module
called 'Chameleon' (http://www.chameleon.synth.net/english/index.shtml),
and I'm working with someone to build a new version, aimed at schools and
universities to promote audio processing techniques.

 It'll be based around a coldfire V2 core (currently 5251 device) and a
56k DSP (Currently a 56364 but for release most likely a 56721). For the
Coldfire part we're planning to run Linux (now you see the connection) as
it's free and also open source and I want to promote the 'open-ness' of
the platform. The Chameleon used it's own proprietry OS with RTEMS
embedded into it. I would like to get RTEMS running under linux on the
coldfire.

 I've succeeded in getting uCLinux (http://www.uclinux.org/) to run on the
coldfire and the next sep is to get it booting from flash to run linux
and then checking the SD card on the 5251 board for apps to run.

 I've a lot to learn about Linux and it's varients, and most of all
writing code for it (I'll need to write some of the basic and demo apps
for this project).

 Anyway, I've waffled enough, I'll sit back and read mails for a while and
look forward to meeting some of you at the next meeting.

Paul Maddox