[HLUG] HLUG Meeting - 16th April 2008

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Fri Apr 18 10:07:01 BST 2008

Well you'll have a lot of problems finding a properly legal copy of
Windows on eBay!  Lots of OEM ones without hardware and often without CD
Keys (or with previously used CD Keys).  Lots or pirated volume licence
ones with licence keys that will fail Genuine Advantage sooner or later.
  But very few properly legal ones.

The spec of the PC would suggest Windows 2000 rather than XP.  Vista
does not have any of the activation hassles so it should install fine
with an eBay copy.  Office 2000 would work well on that and again has no
activation.  Or use OpenOffice which should do all they need as long as
they aren't using MS Access.

Decent anti-virus is essential, and IMO AVG Free is not good enough.  I
am an Eset NOD32 reseller, and I can supply that for 15% below the
website list price (email me privately if interested).

Assuming you go with Linux...

For the MSN use aMSN.  It's an open-source clone of MSN Messenger and
works well, including support for file transfers and webcams.  I use it
on Vista (sorry) and it works well.  It's in the Ubuntu repositories.

Install ClamAV to reduce the risk of them passing on Windows viruses
through email attachments etc.

Paul