[HLUG] Clogged cache?

Mark Broadbent mgjbroadbent at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 23 10:38:17 BST 2008

On 22/04/2008, Graham Cole <GrhmC at lavabit.com> wrote:
> Hi everyone
>  I'm trying to understand my ailing desktop which can't cope with a
>  normal workload these days. It slows down when the browser is used for a
>  while and eventually it gets so slow that I have to press the reset
>  button and start again. Printing a photo also slows things to a stop.
>  I suspect a fault with the RAM because once recently I got an error
>  message: E:Cache open()failed, please report. I think it was cured with
>  dpkg --configure -a
>  Is this situation familiar to anyone?
>  I'm using Ubuntu 7.10

Hi Graham,

I wouldn't think it is a RAM fault as that usually kills your computer
pretty quickly.  To start simply, is your disk full?  I would find out
by opening a terminal window and typing:

$ df -h

If any of the columns have a percentage greater than 95% then that's
probably the issue.

Thanks
Mark