[HLUG] Offtopic - How to get faster ADSL speeds

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Sat Aug 2 18:45:54 BST 2008

On Sat, 2008-08-02 at 14:12 +0100, Steve Bushell wrote:
> 1) change Belkin router to Zyxel - specified for RADSL, and use in low
> signal areas - increase to 2.5Mbits

Do you think something like the Zyxel would be an
improvement over the standard BT HomeHub affair?

I get 0.064MB/s - but then I'm several miles from
the exchange, and it was *years* after it became
ADSL enabled, before they managed to connect me.

Ah, the ten hour dial up sessions doing
apt-get dist-upgrade
How I don't miss them ;)

> Julian Robbins wrote:
> > Interestingly, I tried the modem direct into the BT Master socket
> > instead.
[snip]
> so I think the socket is dodgy, I can't think
> > what else it could be.

Did you unscrew the plate, and try the test socket
inside the master socket?

 - Richard