[HLUG] emails not working

Paul Stenning paul at vintage-radio.com
Fri Feb 15 18:39:18 GMT 2008

Yes, that would be interesting.

I think we have all heard of WEP and WPK, and know that WPK is the more
secure, but probably don't know why or indeed how it all works.

As an aside I helped a neighbour set up his BT Broadband yesterday.  It
didn't need much help though.  He had received a router and cordless
phone combo unit from BT which was preconfigured for his ADSL connection
and just worked when plugged in.  Wireless was enabled, with WEP
security enabled and the 10 character key printed on a label on the unit
(together with the unique wireless ID).  All I had to do was select the
right wireless network and enter the key in Windows, and it all worked.

I was impressed with how well they had done that compared to most
routers which default to wireless security disabled and generic network
names.  A bit of thought and effort has made it customer-proof and
secure.  I hate to praise BT, but this time it is due.

Paul.