[HLUG] archiving software

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Sat Jan 5 18:20:50 GMT 2008

Mark Broadbent wrote:
> On 05/01/2008, Alex Mace <alex at hollytree.co.uk> wrote:
>> Ahem, to my mind something being written in Python does not make it
>> more secure than something PHP, it's down to the programmer to
>> remember to properly filter input, encode output rather than the
>> language itself. PHP is an easy language to pick up which means that
>> you get a lot of programmers who don't know what they are doing. The
>> language itself is not a measure of security.
>
> I would completely agree with that, no language I know of will protect
> you from things like cross-site scripting and SQL injection attacks.
> It's all down the the programmer at the end of the day.  I remember
> reading a few months ago about a university that had produced an app
> that could check you're PHP code and tell the user where
> untrusted/external data was being being passed to db functions or
> output to the end user.  It only supports PHP 4 though which was a bit
> of a stumbling block for me.

All true, but I do agree with Richard that PHP web scripts do seem to
show more security vulnerabilities than python based ones.

Have a look at secunia.com for Plone and Joomla (an example of a well
known well crafted PHP web CMS).

Plone :- 3 security vulnerabilities, from 2003 -2008
http://secunia.com/product/9334/?task=statistics
Joomla :- 12 security vulnerabilities from 2003 - 2008
http://secunia.com/product/5788/?task=statistics

(Both have been around since ~2005, (although Plone 3 (not shown above
was released in Late 2007).

I know this isn't very representative, but I do believe that PHP coded
sites do seem to be a bit more prone to security issues.. and the info
above does tend to bear this out. 4 times more vulnerabilities for
Joomla (PHP) than Plone (Python).

Just for interest, I also checked out Zope, the application
server/database that Plone runs on (also written in Python); 5 issues
since 2004. not bad at all. For interest, MySQL4, had 21 vulnerabilities
(!), in a similar period. MySql isnt written in PHP I know, but it
demonstrates that a Joomla/MySQL server combination against a Plone/Zope
web server one had 33 against 8 vulnerabilities, quite a big difference
I think.

Julian