[HLUG] November Meeting Notes

Julian Robbins joolsr at fastmail.fm
Mon Nov 24 23:42:15 UTC 2008

Hi all

Just to let you know how our November meeting went.

6 of us made it - Me, Mark, Graham, Morven, George, and our new member
whose name I can't remember !! - sorry !!

The hall had a decent carpark and although not especially easy to find,
is probably no harder than the finding your way around the one way
streets to get to the Day Centre.

The room was a good size, far larger than the room we had at Preston on
Wye. The wifi worked straight off - no problems this time, and nice and
fast too ;-)

We will probably use the same meeting room for now, and can probably
setup or at least attend a CAP meeting too there, so we can sell the
joys of Linux and Open Source in these recession hit times to the good
folk of Burghill if we wish. Working through the CAP may be a good idea
, as we will have people interested in computing that we can demonstrate
Linux to too, a captive audience so to speak. Early days though, first
we need to invite the CAP organiser along, and see how it goes -
although Graham said that he was keen to try out Linux.

After a discussion, no one had a firm ideas of where to have our annual
Christmas meal, so it'll probably be voted for on this list in a couple
of weeks - very democratic .

Our new member, who had recently tried Ubuntu Intrepid, was pleased that
his laptop seemed to work so well, after nearly giving up with Hardy as
the wifi didnt work. Now his wifi works fine.

We also discussed and explained the issues with the hosting at lug.org.uk .

I suggested that as our numbers are slowly rising we perhaps can try
putting on some more short sessions on software or applications that we
want to demo to the group. Hopefully, we can do this for our January
meeting.